Some Warning Signs of Abuse
Does Your Partner ....
- Embarrass you with put-downs?
- Control what you do, who you see or talk to or where you go?
- Look at you or act in ways that scare you?
- Push you, slap you, choke you or hit you?
- Stop you from seeing your friends or family members?
- Control the money in the relationship? Take your money or Social Security check, make you ask for money or refuse to give you money?
- Make all of the decisions?
- Tell you that you’re a bad parent or threaten to take away your children?
- Prevent you from working or attending school?
- Act like the abuse is no big deal, deny the abuse or tell you it’s your own fault?
- Destroy your property or threaten to kill your pets?
- Intimidate you with guns, knives or other weapons?
- Attempt to force you to drop criminal charges?
- Threaten to commit suicide, or threaten to kill you?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one of these questions, you may be in an unhealthy or abusive relationship. Don’t hesitate to call us if anything you read raises a red flag about your own relationship or that of someone you know.
Abuse in a relationship can happen to anyone, it is never okay, it can destroy your self-confidence, have a negative impact on your health and well being and leave you feeling lonely and isolated. SPEAK UP!
Cordova Family Resource Center
Call 424-HELP (24 hours a day) or text: 1-860-407-8001 (Everyday 7 am-11 pm)
if you or someone you know is a victim of violence, or need support and information on: